IHT Rendezvous: Amid Doubts, Thai Prime Minister Says She's In Control

HONG KONG – The prime minister of Thailand, Yingluck Shinawatra, is pushing back against a report that her brother, Thaksin Shinawatra, is helping run the country while a fugitive from Thailand.

The report, by Thomas Fuller of The New York Times, said that Mr. Thaksin advises ministers and civil servants from abroad, using Skype, cellphones, texting and social media. It quoted a senior party official saying that Mr. Thaksin is the one who “formulates” policies.

In remarks to reporters Thursday, Ms. Yingluck asserted that she is the one in charge.

“I can’t force anyone’s thinking,” she said in remarks carried by the website of MCOT, a state-owned broadcaster. “But I believe that a lot of people will be fair to me. What a hard-working person wants the most is moral support.”

“Over the past year I have shown achievements that continually prove my work,” she added. “What I want you to look at is my achievements.”

You're reading an article about
IHT Rendezvous: Amid Doubts, Thai Prime Minister Says She's In Control
This article
IHT Rendezvous: Amid Doubts, Thai Prime Minister Says She's In Control
can be opened in url
http://newspowerone.blogspot.com/2013/01/iht-rendezvous-amid-doubts-thai-prime.html
IHT Rendezvous: Amid Doubts, Thai Prime Minister Says She's In Control